Friday, September 9, 2011

The Beginning of a DSLR-student

It's pretty amazing still, as I looked back at just 2 weeks ago when Lionel came over to NM3223 class and gave an intro lecture on DSLR. I must thank my friend CJ for lending me his precious DSLR for that lecture so that I could have some hands-on practice. And of course Lionel for his lenses and his wonderful tips.

Being a person with no prior experience with DSLRs, it was a bit of challenge to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. With this funnel embedded in my mind, we had a little practice outside the class:

Jing was describing that Panning shot works when you follow your camera along with the subject as you take your shot. This makes the subject clear while the background becomes blur. This helps to add another dimension of movement to the photo. The best angle is to take the side profile, as this allows maximum distance to pan.

And Lionel added that it's wise to switch of the image stabiliser to achiever a better panning shot.

Shallow Depth of field (SODF): I always love how people looked so beautiful with the background being blurred out. Now that I've found out that the aperture is the main component you should work with for SODF. And Lionel was kind enough to lend me his lens that allows me to achieve an aperture of 1.4!

Worried that I didn't grasp the technique of DSLR, I went to attend another photography workshop organised by Natstudios in NUS. He taught us how to hold a DLSR properly, the standing positions etc. And his photos somewhat inspired me to take a photo for my assignment 1. =)

I was with my friend, and I had the previlege to try my shots and show how the SODF works (foreground clear background blur instead of the reverse for the previous SODF shot). The colour was a little wierd, maybe it has got to do with the white balance. But I adore how the the background blurred, creating shimmering effect.

That marks the initial contact with a DSLR. And things are going to be more exciting!

- Jo the aspiring photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment